Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What Are Your Favorite PlayStation Memories?


A new trend has taken Twitter by storm: #PlayStationMemory. Sony's incredible marketing campaign for today's PlayStation Meeting certainly isn't sputtering at the finish line. In fact, it's been just the opposite. Although I have no idea who started the trend, #PlayStationMemory is officially dominating Twitter. Here are a few memories posted thus far:

@jeffrubenstein: Trading in my SNES, Game Boy, & every game I owned for a PS1, Twisted Metal, & RE in 1996 #PlayStationMemory

@JimSterling: That PSOne demo with the T-Rek and the Whale. Also that puzzle game demo that ranked your IQ at the end. #PlayStationMemory

@GameOverGreggy: Waiting 9 hours in line to buy the @PlayStation 2 #PlayStationMemory

This got me thinking about my fondest PlayStation memories and I quickly realized they are rather unique. First of all, I got a PlayStation because of school. Yep. You read that correctly. School!


A company called lightspan adventures designed a series of educational games around the character known as Mars Moose. My father, a superintendent of schools at the time, realized the potential of this. He actually implemented a program where certain classrooms had a PlayStation to play these educational games. We also had a close friend who worked at lightspan. She gave us the games and voila! My parents bought me a PlayStation.


In terms of "real" games, there are two games I remember most fondly: Twisted Metal 2 (TM2) and Final Fantasy VII (FFVII). My friends and I played TM2 for hours on end. This was the go-to game at all our sleepovers. We'd play multiplayer death match, but we spent most of our time on the co-op campaign mode. Even my younger sister enjoyed playing TM2.


Having FFVII on a list of PlayStation Memories is an absolute must. You probably already know how great the game is so I won't even go there. Instead, I'd like to share a specific story. I was in the 6th grade when I played FFVII for the first time. A certain 8th grade girl wanted to come over to my house to "visit my sister" (man how naive you can be in the 6th grade!). Well, she arrived...and I was playing FFVII. And I continued to play FFVII. She came into my room several times and I literally didn't budge. "Hey. What's up? Oh, my sister is in the other room." And I just kept on playing. Talk about playing "hard to get" long before I'd even heard the phrase "hard to get."

I could go on for quite some time about my favorite PlayStation memories. I remember the first time I saw Madden on PS2 and my jaw hit the floor. The helmets! The grass! You can even see their breath in the cold weather! Buying a PS3 and only planning to use it for a blu-ray player. My first platinum trophy. Aye, such great memories.

As I've blogged on a few different occasions, Sony has an incredible opportunity before them tonight. They've hyped the PlayStation base better than any company I've seen in a long time. None of it will matter if they don't deliver on this evening's event.

So...get your popcorn, pull up a chair, and find one of the 1,348 websites streaming the event (that's an exaggeration) in 9 different languages (that part is actually true) and enjoy hearing about the PS4! I'm confident we're about to have another amazing #PlayStationMemory.

No comments:

PSN Profile