Thursday, May 24, 2007

Lost (tv show)...who is Jeremy Bentham?

First of all, do NOT read this if you haven't seen the season 3 finale of Lost. There are spoilers and I wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone.

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
**************SPOILERS BELOW***********************
*
*
*
*
*
Some of you are probably wondering, who the heck is Jeremy Bentham? Well, some people feel that he is the person in the coffin from Jack's "flash-forward." If you look closely at some of the screencaps you can make out what looks like a "J' and a "ham" on the newspaper where Jack reads the obituary. Personally, I never look too far into stuff like that and I find it quite difficult to read anything from the screencaps.

However...I believe I have made an interesting find. On another forum someone posted a wikipedia link to an English philosopher named Jeremy Bentham.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Bentham

I was scrolling through reading a little about him when I saw a startling connection. He was influenced by another English philosopher named...JOHN LOCKE!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Locke

Now...I'm sure some people have found wiki's entry on Locke before, but it is quite startling to be connected to this Bentham guy. There's alot of information on each, but I will post some of the interesting things here.

Jeremy Bentham- argued in favor of seperation of church and state, equal rights for women, animal rights, abolition of slavery and physical punishment, and he was also an advocate of utilitarianism.

John Locke- his writings influenced Rousseau (another strange connection), proposed that the mind was a blank slate, and he has this written on his epitaph: "Stop, Traveller! Near this place lieth John Locke. If you ask what kind of a man he was, he answers that he lived content with his own small fortune. Bred a scholar, he made his learning subservient only to the cause of truth. This thou will learn from his writings, which will show thee everything else concerning him, with greater truth, than the suspect praises of an epitaph. His virtues, indeed, if he had any, were too little for him to propose as matter of praise to himself, or as an example to thee. Let his vices be buried together. As to an example of manners, if you seek that, you have it in the Gospels; of vices, to wish you have one nowhere; if mortality, certainly, (and may it profit thee), thou hast one here and everywhere."

Now...I'm not one who usually believes in all of these connections, but I feel this is too much to be coincidental. The producers have likened their style to J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter author) on several of their podcasts. If you are a HP fan you will know that this sounds exactly like something J.K. would do.

I also found an anagram for Bentham: "Ban them." Maybe someone bans Jack and Kate from the island?

The craziest thing about all of this (unrelated to Lost) is that I share a birthday with Mr. Bentham!

2 comments:

logankstewart said...

Aye, that finale was awesome. Now, I've not yet read this Jeremy Bentham thing on wikipedia but I must peruse it. I am now longing for season 4. I don't know who I think the coffin contained. At first I thought it might be Michael, cause he's no friend (nor enemy) and the funeral home was in a pretty bad part o' town. I'll have to look further into this....
I'll see you in the fall! Take care, dude.

drjone07 said...

I kind of thought that it might be Michael too, but the Hurley comment threw me off on that. Also, that begs the question, was Hurley telling Walt the truth when he said that his Dad was still alive on the Island??

PSN Profile