I must confess...I've strayed further and further away from Nintendo during the Wii years. Even so, I made sure I purchased a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, which included a special 25th anniversary CD featuring some of the all-time greats from Koji Kondo.
I've played almost every Zelda game so I knew the music was top-notch, but wow; this disc is simply a masterpiece. I've had it playing in my car for about a week straight now and it's taken me back to a number of previous Zelda games. Scenery and locales I thought I'd forgotten quickly spring forth in my mind when the corresponding tune plays. The track list is as follows.
- The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Medley
- Kakariko Village Twilight Princess Theme
- The Wind Waker Symphonic Movement
- Gerudo Valley
- Great Fairy's Fountain Theme
- Twilight Princess Symphonic Movement
- The Legend of Zelda Main Theme Medley
- Ballad of the Goddess from Skyward Sword
The Wind Waker Symphonic Movement is - hands down - my favorite track on the entire score. Wind Waker may not have been my favorite Zelda game, but the music may be the best in the series. If you're a Zelda fan or just a fan of classical music in general, I strongly encourage you to give this special compilation a listen.